In response to a number of requests for one-on-one photography training, and in light of the fact that I’ve enjoyed teaching other things in the past, I’m pleased to announce that we’ll be launching an OFD photography course this year!
We’re still finalising the details, but here are the brush strokes:
- The course will run for 8 weeks. It will involve a weekly theory component (3 hours, probably starting around 6pm on a suitable weeknight) and 2-3 field trips (to be chosen democratically by the participants).
- We will only accept 10 participants per course. This will ensure that everyone receives enough individual attention, and will hopefully make it easy for us all to become good friends!
- We’ll cover a lot of ground, including the basics of exposure and composition, working with available and artificial light (including on- and off-camera flash), portraiture, candid photography, and the essentials of digital workflow.
- Because we’re packing so much content into 8 weeks, some things won’t be covered in much detail, e.g. Photoshop. The course will focus primarily on helping participants improve their results in-camera, so that Photoshop can be avoided 🙂
- An online forum will be provided for participants to ask follow-up questions, share photos, request critique, and generally stay in touch.
- Participants will need, at the very least, a digital SLR with a kit lens. Optional extras that will be beneficial include a fast prime lens like the Canon 50mm f/1.8 or Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, a dedicated flash, and a computer with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom running on it.
- We’re not expecting participants to know much more than the basics of operating their camera, and we’re aiming the content at hobbyists who simply want to take better photos. That said, we’ll happily welcome amateurs with professional aspirations, and even working photographers who never got around to learning the basics!
- The price of the course is yet to be locked in, but it will probably cost around $550 including GST.
If you’re interested in participating, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll send out further details, including dates, locations, a course structure and a firm price in the very near future. This information will only be provided by email initially, so make sure you get in touch if you’re keen!
And because this post would be boring without a photo or two, here’s a sneak peek of Jess and Mark’s wedding. Plenty more photos are on their way 🙂